Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Hyena Men


The work of Pieter Hugo had been one of the first things the excite me in a long time when I first saw his images. My biggest regret was procrastinating about buying one of his prints from his Capetown Gallery. A lesson not to be repeated, as the edition is sold out and is now going for 10 times the cost in the secondary market. I most recently saw his work in the Street & Studio show at London's Tate Modern (I'll try to write more about that exhibit soon). In the meantime I started this blog to chat about photography, equipment and pop culture - as well as most importantly to highlight the work out there that I loved. Some of that work is in the margins, some of it is in the mainstream. Pieter's work now occupies both. His photos speak on many layers - his sense of timing and choice of subjects couldn't be more interesting or better illustrated. There is a really great interview published on him in the Guardian that follows his thoughts before and after winning the discovery award at the Arles Photography Festival in France this past week.

No comments: